Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gettysburg forgot about Black Soldiers




This summer I was afforded the opportunity to visit Gettysburg, PA. Prior to my arrival I had great hopes of seeing a large collection of memorabilia that would honor the many African American soldiers who fought during the Civil War.

To my surprise there was very little representation or acknowledgement given to African American soldiers who fought and died to end slavery at Gettysburg just as white soldiers had. Moreover, I was deeply saddened to know that over 103 million dollars was recently spent renovating the Gettysburg’s Visitors Center.

In speaking to our unofficial tour guide (a professor at Gettysburg College) about the lack of African American representation, his only explanation for this oversight suggested that more black people should get involved with the preservation of their history and not depend on others to do it for them.

Wow! That got me to thinking.

Though his statement was quite bold. He is correct.

As I continued my tour through the town of Gettysburg, I noticed there was not a lack of Confederate flags. Which got me to thinking again. Why, in this Pennsylvania town year 2008 would people be bold enough to proudly display the Confederate flag?

There was only one logical answer I could piece together, and it is that these people understand the importance of preserving their history (right or wrong). After all, Confederate soldiers were fighting against the North, so their presence can not be excluded from history.

African American people, we must take a stand and demand for our rich history to be preserved. The first step is to have our voices heard by writing to the Gettysburg Preservation society dneil@gettysburgfoundation.org or by calling 866-889-1243.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hi