Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Say You're One of Them

As an avid reader and supporter of Oprah's Book Club, I am savoring this month's selection Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan. This book is a collection of five short stories told from a child's unpretentious prospective. Each story's setting takes place in different countries of Africa, from the sandy beaches of Sierra Leone to jungles of Kenya. Ukem is from Nigeria and he is a Jesuit Priest; switch points out the readiness of biblical terminology and awareness.

Brilliantly authored, An Ex-Mas Feast is the first short story that captures my interest and compels me to want more out of life for Miasha. Miasha is the reason why I love this story, because her story touches my heart. Not only does she make me see things she goes through, she almost makes me feel them. Maisha is a twelve-year-old prostitute that sells her body to provide for her family's welfare. Approvingly, the family applauds the fact that Maisha is lending her body to rich white men who drive fancy cars and desire Maisha's body. Maisha's life's story is an amazing survey of prostitution in Africa and what it could mean for other women like her. In the end Maisha does finally decide to leave home; however, Ukem does not tell the specifics of her where-a-abouts after that. By ending the story this way Ukem has left me to delineate my own hopes and wishes for her future.

The second short story, Fattening for Gabon touched my soul. This story was very emotional and the realism gave new meaning to slavery and what it means to be family. It is not my intention to give the story away, so you must read it for yourself. I assure you, you will not be disappointed.

I am on to the third story, Luxurious Hearses. I am about twenty pages into this sensational story. It has definitely made me reevaluate my religious beliefs and be more considerate of others.

In addition to reading Ukem’s book, I recently completed an oldie but favorite American Classic, Native Son by Richard Wright. Native Son captured my interest like no other book that I have ever read. I strongly advise every person of color to read this book. Bigger Thomas is the main character and his story is something to behold. Set in Chicago during the 1940’s, Native Son shed a new light on me in the respect of what it must have been like to me an African American male during that time period. You will not be able to put this book down.

Okay people, I am getting tired. So until next time stay focused and let a book take you to unimaginable places. Live.

No comments: