Friday, July 16, 2010

Part I of Something Unexpected

“Rat poison should do the trick—it’s less detective,” Norah sighs as she slams down the receiver and leans against the wall fighting back tears.


Shelia, one of her closest and dearest girlfriends just informed her that she saw Norah’s husband enjoying the company of another woman at the Cabana Ultra Lounge last night in downtown Sacramento.

“She was tall, wearing a wavy wig. Thirty-five or so. I true believe. He was buying her champagne and showing her off to some business partners from work. Believe me—I would not tell you these things if I did not see them with my own eyes.”

Shelia pauses and Norah draws a deep breath—releases the air real fast.

“Are you sure Shelia, are you sure it was my Jason?”

“Of course it was HIM! I told you I saw him with my own true eyes God blessed me with. Girlfriend ‘dis is God’s honest truth. The only detail I failed to mention is that the Tall woman spoke with an unfamiliar accent. Maaaaaaaaay-be, (she drags the “a” as though in thought) from some island in the West Indies. I bet she is an illegal immigrant or something along those lines.”

“Okay girl, I believe you” Norah says.

She pictures the Tall woman Shelia just described; wavy wig and foreign accent.

“I thought it was important that I tell you. That’s what friends do. Now I feel terrible because I should have come over to tell you in person. I am sorry. Please let me know if I can do anything…….and one more thing, (she puts extra emphasis on one) do not tell Jason it was me who told you about the affair. You know how men get. I have done enough ALL-ready.” Shelia says loudly.

She walks back into the bedroom. The one she has only shared with her husband. Lies across their queen size bed. Jason never wanted to get a king size, because he said, “I fear it will make us grow apart—too much space is not good to sustain a healthy marriage.”

Lately, Jason has been working a lot of overtime at the office and getting home well after 11 P.M. on most nights. But he is always sure to call Norah and tell her “not to wait up,” and he always end the telephone conversation with “I love you dear.”

Norah now imagines Jason in the lounge with the Tall woman with the wavy wig and strange probably West Indian accent. She imagines the way he sucks her neck when they are making love, because he knows that is her weakest spot. Norah slowly turns over and looks up at the ceiling. Looking back at her is her own reflection. Jason had a ceiling- mirror installed when they first moved into their house. He decided that Greater Sacramento, Carmichael’s upscale mostly pale faced neighbor would be the perfect location to raise a family. The only problem, they have been living in the perfect home for nearly 4 years; and still, no children.

Secretly, not having any children upset Norah. She had not taken birth control for well over three years. She and Jason had been desperately trying to conceive for the past two. After the first year of trying to conceive and still no luck, Norah went to see her gynecologist to have infertility testing without Jason ever knowing. The results of the test were negative. The doctor even said her egg count was well within normal range for a woman her age and reassured her that she was in perfect health. However, the doctor did suggest Jason come in for testing. Norah knew she would not be able to convince her husband to visit a fertility clinic; just the thought of it would insult his manhood. So she put the possibilities of that becoming a reality far to the back of her mind as she did with many things these days.

Norah flashes back to the very first time she and Jason met. It was right after a breakup with her ex-boyfriend, Kevin. She was on an all girls’ vacation to the New Jersey Shore. As she was struggling to unload her designer Diane Von Furstenburg luggage, she looked over her shoulder and noticed a tall, premium Brazilian coffee colored skinned, well-defined features, thick eyebrows man with a smooth stride heading her way. He hurriedly ran over, grabbed Norah’s bags at the same time saying “let me get those for you.” Before Norah could turn down his help, he already had a bag in each hand.

No comments: